Monday, October 5, 2009

Temple Grandin; learning about autism from first-hand accounts

In the past, when working with individuals with autism, I always wished that I had some way of getting inside their heads and experiencing the world through their senses. I became interested in being an SLP while working as a teaching assistant in a self-contain autism classroom. When I started, one of the first things my supervising teacher told me was that I should think of the students as if they were aliens from another planet. By this she meant that I should not expect them to experience their surroundings in the same way that I do. This was easily the most useful thing I learned during my first few days at work.

Temple Grandin and other individuals with autism who are able to express their experiences offer an invaluable resource. Grandin's book Thinking In Pictures helped me to better understand my students' need for deep pressure stimulation. In the book, she describes squeezing herself in a machine meant for holding cattle. She explains the therapeutic affect that the machine has on her and how unsettled she feels if she does not get the pressure.
We can use Grandin's accounts to help us understand autism overall. While the spectrum is quite broad, there are characteristics (like the need for deep pressure) that show up all along the spectrum. Any insight she can provide into what it is like to live with autism helps us to better understand individuals who cannot express themselves.




3 comments:

  1. I think what your teacher said about aliens explains a lot about why people with no knowledge of autism often get frustrated when interacting with individuals with autism. Because they see the world differently you can never assume you know what they are experiencing. Good post Naomi :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the advise to think about people with autism as being alien-like. I think it will really help me go into future experiences with an open mind. It is easy to try and compare the behaviors of autistic people with those of people without autism. But after reading the Temple Grandin essay it is clear that autistic people think in a completely different way, so comparisons aren't useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a little bit of experience working with people with autism. Since the first day I worked with one person I started buying and reading books written by family members, SLPs, etc. all about autism, but to read the words directly from someone with Temple's insights would be so interesting and helpful for me. Thinking in Pictures is now on my must read list. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete